Children's Dentistry in Burlington
A child’s first visit to the dentist sets the stage for lifelong oral health. Our goal at Freeman Dental is to make happy and healthy smiles a reality for our patients. We do this in a fun and relaxed environment that puts you and your child at ease.
How to prepare for your first office visit
Remember, the main goal is to have a fun and easy dental visit with your child and to introduce him or her to our dental clinic. Tell your child about the visit, but don’t get into detail. We use kid-friendly terms to explain procedures so that your child isn’t frightened and learns to view a visit to the dentist as a good experience. We will discuss oral hygiene, dietary habits and answer any questions that the parent may have.
Please remember to bring a list of your child’s medication with you at appointment time.
What to expect during your visit
Our Team will do the following:
- Ensure your child is comfortable and answer his or her questions
- Introduce them to some of the dental instruments commonly used so they don’t fear what is put into their mouth
- Help them to understand dental “talk” or terminology so they understand their own dental health. We do a cavity risk assessment for each patient so they learn the importance of good oral hygiene
- Examine the gums and soft tissue for disease or problems
- Examine your child’s teeth for decay
- Evaluate tooth and bone growth and the way the teeth fit together, also known as “the bite”
- Identify any habits that can affect their growth
- Show you and your child how to properly clean your child’s teeth at home
- During recall appointments, check areas that are missed during brushing by using a disclosing tablet (a chewable tablet that defines plaque in a bright colour so we can see how well they are brushing.)
- Take pictures inside the mouth to explain and show any area of concern.
- Answer all your questions and address concerns.